Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
Cook Time: 55 Minutes
- A flavorful take on the classic sloppy joes.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion
- 1/2 cup green pepper
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup carrot
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 can Baked Beans With Maple Flavor
- 8 oz tomato sauce (1 8-oz. can)
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned McCann's® oatmeal
- 8 whole-grain hamburger buns
- In heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, in hot oil, cook onion, pepper, celery and carrot 4 to 5 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in water and rice; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 to 35 minutes until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Stir in beans, tomato sauce and oatmeal.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, 10 to 15 minutes until thickened to desired consistency. Spoon filling evenly over split buns.